nourishing & unapologetic
Our Dood turns two today! Yes, Garth the Goldendoodle, is growing up. In the last year, he's discovered the love of a tennis ball and squeaky toy. He gobbles cheese any chance he can get. He regularly tucks himself in at night whether we're ready to sleep or not. He's a fan of sitting on our mid-Century modern sofa (with a dog sheet of course!). And, he's still the worst car rider on the face of the planet.
And if that's not enough, he's an artist too!
Because buying a house is expensive enough, we didn't want to spend a lot on artwork to grace our walls. So, taking inspiration from KC Pet Project's Animal Artists, we enlisted our pooches to help create some one-of-a-kind canvases.
The project is quite simple. And, tyou can create your own in just a matter on minutes.
I hope Shaggy and Garth's art inspires you to engage your furry friends and family in a creative project or two.
Now, as if you haven't had enough, cute dog pics, I'll provide you a gallery of some of our favorites from the past year. Despite all the muddy paws and slobbery mouths, I can't imagine our life without Shag and Garth.
That's enough for now. Our pup only turns two once and we've got celebrating to do.
Until next time--
This little blog is growing up...we're now BornDaily.com! Yes, that's right. We officially have our own domain. Wahoo, gaining legitimacy while retaining approachability, whimsy, and flavor! Now, really this doesn't probably change much, but it's been on my to do list, thus I have to celebrate a teeny bit. So, I did a little redecorating with a new logo and site header, nothing schamncy but something that represents the feel of us. Welcome to our the official BornDaily.com site (and for the record the Weebly address will redirect you as needed).
It's March 1st...We're 3 months into 2015? Sheesh.
Anyhoo, did you know today's a holiday? It is. We're celebrating peanut butter. It's a childhood mainstay for many and an excellent ingredient for all kinds of delicious baked goods. It's also appealing to furry friends too (more on that later).
This weekend Mother Nature decided to usher March in like a lion; winter finally made an appearance with a few inches of snow. Now, in the Born household, four-legged friends included, we're fans of snow so this was the cause of much excitement. It warranted a playdate at our neighborhood park. My hubby, the pups, and I spent a fair amount of time romping around, playing fetch, and making snow angels. I don't know of a better way to spend a Saturday in the winter. True to form, we took a lot of pictures that way the fun would live on.
In honor of today's holiday, and since this weekend has been largely about Garth and Shaggy, I decided to bake for them. Homemade dog treats...why not? Yes, they're probably that spoiled. This recipe is barely a recipe. They come together in record time and are being gobbled up equally as fast.
Peanut Butter Pup Treats
Recipe inspired by Simplistic Life and House on 8th
1 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
2 heaping tablespoons your favorite smooth peanut butter
Up to 1/4 cup milk (use skim or 2%; you'll use just enough to pull it all together)
All in all, we're ready for spring, but I am so thankful for at least one snowy weekend chockfull of memories and spoiling my guys. Here's to spoiling those you love and making the most of every moment. Oh, and March, feel free to go out like a lamb...
Until next time.
HAPPY FRIDAY, friends! Let's jump right into my some of the things I'm currently obsessed with. You might want these things in your life. And it's almost the weekend so you'll have time to seek them out. You're welcome.
1. In October, my organization got a new office manager. She's AWESOME. She's super high energy and absolutely sincere. She's instituting new processes, ideas, and the like. One such new addition: twice daily ergonomic stretches. Now, before you yawn, and think "really?", hear me out. At about 10am and 2pm we gather as an office and do a quick routine of various stretches. She mixes it up each day, but we focus on back, hands, shoulders, neck, etc. And then we do an active movement of some kind (i.e. grass pullers, punching Monday in the face, desk push-ups, jumping jacks, and raising the roof on Fridays!, etc.) Let me tell you, if I miss stretching I know it. These little movements actually help. Plus, they're a nice way to break up a sometimes sedentary day. I encourage you all to bring this to your workplace...your co-workers will only think you're crazy for a few days...
In case, you need a starting place, check out these cool posters:
2. Hildebrand Chocolate Milk: dairy lover's unite! Okay, I honestly, I only love dairy in the form of cheese, ice cream, on cereal, cream cheese, did I say ice cream?... I am not a milk drinker. Growing up, I only drank milk before I went to the dentist because I am pretty sure my dad told me it would make my teeth whiter... (he totally tricked me!). But as a refined grown-up ;), I have occasionally drank milk if it was ice cold and chocolate. Then I found this milk from Hildebrand Dairy in Junction City, KS at my local Dillons. It is life changing. I now crave it. I try to have it for breakfast every day it's in the fridge. This milk is awesome. Rich, creamy, delicious. They have other flavors, but let's be real, I'm a chocoholic/purist. I'm not straying to another flavor. Look for it in your local dairy case (specific location list can be found here.) Don't be alarmed by sticker shock; you can return the bottle to get your bottle deposit back.
3. Cybex Arc Trainer: I'm trying to train for a half-marathon...my new training plan calls for a good mix of running, cross-training, and strength training. So I've been looking for ways to mix up my cardio on days that are non-running days. In the past I've disregarded the arc trainer at the Y. But, in lieu of another day on the elliptical or treadmill, I hopped on it last week. Holy moly! This machine rocks. I prefer the machine that engages both my arms and legs. If you crank up the resistance and/or the incline you can totally amp up your workout. Time goes by quickly on it and I actually feel like I get a good sweat session. I'm all for low-impact on the ol' knees because I don't want to hobble later in life... I encourage you to check this machine out next time you're at the gym. (Dang, I shouldn't have told anyone because now there might be a line to use one... feel free to move along if you see me coming, I'll want to get my Arc time in, haha!)
4. MantraBands: Nick got me this bracelet for my birthday. I am by nature a worrier. At some point I came across a quote photo that said "warrior not worrier." I've tried to embody that... worry doesn't do me any good. Now I have a wearable reminder to charge through difficulty, hopefully without reservation. I love these bracelets and fully intend to buy more of them.
Find your mantra. Live it and wear it daily.
5. Avocados: I think I may have eaten my weight in avocados recently. Oops! But that's okay, right? They're nutrient dense, have good fats...yada, yada..(Learn about their nutrition here).
I made PERFECT guacamole for Valentine's Day (and again for the next two days #truth). I found this recipe from The Ecofriendly Family on Pinterest (imagine that! check one off my birthday todo list of completing 29 pins). It truly is the simplest, best guacamole--almost like Chipotle's. Yes, I can attest to that from many a taste test :) Here's what you need:
2 ripe avocados
1/4 - 1/2 red onion, finely diced
Handful of cilantro, finely chopped
Finely dice and chop onion and cilantro, respectively. Put in medium size bowl. Cut the avocados in half. De-pit the necessary half. Using just the tip of the knife, score the avocado diagonally both ways, scoop out flesh in to medium size bowl. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper. Give it all a quick mash with your potato masher. Then cut your lime in half, prick the flesh of one half with a fork, and squeeze juice over the avocado mixture. Mash all ingredients until desired consistency (we like it a little chunky). Add more lime juice from remaining half, if desired--I like a little extra acidity so I usually have the juice of 3/4 of a lime. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips and dare yourself not to eat it all.
Bonus like: @Garth_the_Goldendoodle account on Instagram: Shameless plug for our adorable pup's Instagram account. Yes, I became that person. We created our goldendoodle his own IG/social media account. But, hey, we have no Baby Born's yet and it's all in good fun. He and Shaggy are always up to something so now we have a place to highlight and report on their shenanigans. Feel free to follow him. #partyonGarth #pawfect #goldendoodle
I think that's a wrap. Hope you enjoy these things as much as I do. If not, find your own favorite things and relish in them.
Cheers to Friday! Cheers to the weekend! And, if Winter is back upon you, stay warm, friends!
Until next time.
*NOTE: None of my commentary is an official product endorsement; none of these brands know who I am. :) All opinions are my own.